Wednesday, January 10, 2018

James Bond on Chemo

My first chemo treatment was memorable for many reasons. Some of the others I'll talk about later. But one of the ones that still gives our family a chuckle is this one.

During the oncologist's consultation about what to expect after my treatments, Harold was mentally checking off all the different symptoms or side effects he would need to pay attention to. One of them, however, slipped through a crack, and reappeared at, of all places, the movie theater!

Doc had told us that I may experience certain side effects and recommended different ways to address them. Like "jitters." What??? He had recommended Benadryl to sort of "calm down" those heightened nerves. Well, apparently both of us didn't take that one too seriously because some of the others seemed a little more serious, so that little nugget of advice went in one ear and out the other. Besides, I wasn't the "nervous" type. At all.

Fast forward a week or so after I had that first treatment and had gotten through some of the more serious side effects that happen within the first couple of days.

A new James Bond movie, "The Living Daylights," had just been released, and we had always been James Bond fans. A great first outing after my chemo treatment would be to see Mr. Bond. I even got popcorn!

"You'll find these new gadgets helpful in your mission, James!"

About an hour into the movie, I started looking at my watch every couple of minutes. Fidgeting. Could NOT sit still for the life of me! Finally I asked Harold, "Will this be over soon?" Now, there was no shortage of action and adventure to hold the normal person's attention. I kept asking him about every five minutes, "Is it almost over?" He started wondering what was up with me, and by the end of the movie he had remembered something... and asked me, "Do you remember the doctor telling us we might need to get you some Benadryl if you started feeling jittery after a chemo treatment?" I vaguely did, but my behavior had brought it back to him really clearly.

We stopped by the store on the way home to get my Benadryl...my "James Bond pills" as we called them from that night on. Every time I see them on the shelf at the store it still brings a little chuckle to this day. Just one of the many gadgets in my arsenal to fight the evil Chemo villain!

No comments:

Post a Comment